[dns-operations] looking for suggestion: ML for DNS anti-dos

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Thu Apr 2 19:01:03 UTC 2020

In article <CAHw9_iL4uPcspyQvTQDfsY+e5hCsZVNBxcO6TPfckQyVmZne1w at mail.gmail.com>,
Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net> wrote:
>One thing to keep in mind is that DNS traffic is a VERY noisy data
>source, and corrupt / pathologic queries are incredibly common..

I would triply emphasize that.  Data from the root servers show that
the vast majority of queries they get are garbage: technically
ill-formed or for names that have never existed and likely never will.

That's less of a problem at less prominent servers, but even at my
tiny system hosting domains you've never heard of, I get plenty of
junk queries for things like AFSDB records and for domains I don't
handle.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl at taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",