[dns-operations] Mass deletion of .tw sub-domains?

张在峰 zhangzaifeng at 360.cn
Wed Sep 25 10:00:03 UTC 2019

In our statistics, in the past year, about 4.1 million domain names were registered in batches under the tw top-level domain.
In fact, the number of free domain name registrations during the Asian Games is not very significant (up to less than 5% of the domain names are due to the Asian Games).
The real reason is that TWNIC has promoted the tw top-level domain from August 1st, 2018 to September 30th, 2018. The price during the promotion period is only 6.25% of the normal price (NT$50 vs NT$800), and the registration time is 1 year.
Domain name merchants used this opportunity to register a large number of tw (about 3.2 million) domain names.
The data we monitored showed that these domain names were mainly used in black and gray businesses such as gambling, pornography and fraud.
After the registration period has expired, most of these domain names have not been renewed, and they have expired.

TWNIC promotion info: https://www.twnic.net.tw/doc/a_report/2018/domain.htm

----
zhangzaifeng
360netlab QIHOO

On 2019/9/25, 03:03, "dns-operations on behalf of Viktor Dukhovni" <dns-operations-bounces at dns-oarc.net on behalf of ietf-dane at dukhovni.org> wrote:

    > On Sep 24, 2019, at 11:19 AM, Az <az at azso.pro> wrote:
    >
    > One year ago, a .tw registrar NET-CHINESE announce a promotion to celebrate 2018 Asian Games.
    > They offer free .tw domain registration without any restriction for one year.
    > And now, the domains registered during that promotion is expiring.

    Thanks, much appreciated!  I think that clears up the mystery.

    --
    	Viktor.