[dns-operations] DNS flag day 2020: Recommended EDNS buffer size discussion

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Sep 3 09:53:56 UTC 2019

Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:

> and, there _is_ better information available, like the local routing table, or
> the local interface table.

On my DNS servers almost all of the traffic goes via the default route,
and for my authoritative servers in particular that doesn't provide muct
of a clue about the path MTU. AIUI the plan to reduce fragmentation is
mostly about this awkward inter-AS rec -> auth path. If you have an
on-link client on a subnet that supports jumbograms then yay, the server
can use the extra MTU, but I think other cases will need explicit
configuration by the admin.

Tony.
South Fitzroy: Northeasterly 4 to 6, occasionally 7 at first. Moderate or
rough. Fair. Good.