[dns-operations] DNS flag day 2020: Recommended EDNS buffer size discussion

Joelle Maslak jmaslak at antelope.net
Mon Sep 2 19:05:41 UTC 2019

I've used 1200 as well at a previous job with no issue for years (and it
was a big enough deployment if there were issues, they would have been
noticed).  I do not recommend sending fragmented IPv6 packets (as suggested
elsewhere on this thread), as too many people block fragments on IPv6.

I'm not commenting on whether or not this should be a flag day, just that I
have a lot of experience with 1200 at scale and it seems to work fine.  My
gut tells me 1220 would be fine too, I picked 1200 because I knew it was
safe even if I counted slightly wrong.  :)