[dns-operations] s3.amazonaws.com problem?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Oct 23 09:41:43 UTC 2019

>> Is anyone else experiencing resolution issues for names in this domain? We are seeing a lot of queries of the form:
>> CNAME? bvusfvyq.s3.amazonaws.com
>> (the label before ".s3" looks random) and a lot of SERVFAIL responses.
>>
>> Any clues would be appreciated.
>
> If you believe The Register (I know, I know...) Amazon’s DNS infrastructure is/was the target of a DDoS attack.
> 	https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/22/aws_dns_ddos/

And Amazon *claims* the problems are resolved:

    https://status.aws.amazon.com/

"[RESOLVED] Intermittent DNS Resolution Errors
Between 10:30 AM and 6:30 PM PDT, we experienced intermittent errors
with resolution of some AWS DNS names. Beginning at 5:16 PM, a very
small number of specific DNS names experienced a higher error
rate. These issues have been resolved."

However, the SERVFAIL statistics from our resolvers indicate that the
problem is very much ongoing still.

Steinar Haug, AS2116