[dns-operations] glitch on [ip6|in-addr].arpa?

Shumon Huque shuque at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 22:30:26 UTC 2019

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 4:12 PM Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 9:00 PM Joe Abley <jabley at hopcount.ca> wrote:
>

>> What some people are seeing in this thread as a problem is actually a
>> nice demonstration that the system as a whole is immune to damage due to
>> partial-table peering disagreements.
>

> Indeed.

I certainly agree that the Cogent-HE IPv6 peering dispute poses no
reliability or availability problems for the DNS root service.

But what impact might it have on individual services, organizations, and
other smaller entities? Since the Internet is still IPv4 omni-present, and
only partially IPv6, it probably doesn't matter at all to most.

It might be much more important for diagnostic and measurement services
like DNSviz though. At the moment, if you run IPv6 DNS servers on networks
that are singly connected to Cogent, it will probably incorrectly flag
those servers as unavailable. For such services, perhaps it would be better
if they were not single-homed to either Cogent or HE.

(To be clear, I'm happy that DNSviz is housed at OARC. So, I guess I might
be suggesting that the community might consider how to fund a second ISP
connection for OARC).

--
Shumon Huque