[dns-operations] root? we don't need no stinkin' root!

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Nov 29 19:49:09 UTC 2019

Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de> wrote:

> But does anyone swap out the name servers for a TLD over the course of
> five days?

Complete replacement of delegation NS RRsets happens fairly frequently. I
don't pay attention to the glue, tho, so I don't know how often these are
just renames as opposed to server platform changes.

One memorable example was .unicom back in June

https://twitter.com/fanf/status/1138372065541677056

The .mm delegation change on 7 Oct was a complete change of names and
addresses.

On 2 Nov, .in and their many IDN TLDs had a rename rather than a change of
addresses.

Tony.
Whitby to Gibraltar Point: North 3 or 4, becoming variable 3 or less, then
east 3 or 4 later. Slight or moderate. Showers. Good.