[dns-operations] root? we don't need no stinkin' root!

Ondřej Surý ondrej at sury.org
Wed Nov 27 08:53:54 UTC 2019

Mark,

I believe that any distributed system that won’t have a fallback to the RZ
is inevitably doomed and will get out of sync.

The RFC7706 works because there’s always a safe guard and if the resolver
is unable to use mirrored zone, it will go to the origin.

Call me a pessimist, but I’ve yet to see a loosely often neglected distributed system
that won’t get out of sync.

So, while the idea of distributing the full RZ to every resolver out there, there are two
fundamental problems:

1. resilience - both against DoS and just plain breakage
2. the old clients - while the situation out there is getting better, we will still be stuck with
    old codebase for foreseeable future

What we can do is to make the load on RZ servers lighter, but we can’t make them just go.

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý
ondrej at sury.org