[dns-operations] root? we don't need no stinkin' root!

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Nov 26 10:33:31 UTC 2019

> On 26 Nov 2019, at 09:16, Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
>
> Up until recently, well-behaved recursive resolvers had to forward
> queries to the root if they were not already covered by a delegation.
> RFC 7816 and in particular RFC 8198 changed that, but before that, it
> was just how the protocol was expected to work.

So what? These RFCs make very little difference to the volume of queries a resolving server will send to the root. QNAME minimisation has no impact at all: the root just sees a query for .com instead of foobar.com. A recursive resolver should already be supporting negative caching and will have a reasonably complete picture of what's in (or not in) the root. RFC8198 will of course help that but not by much IMO.