[dns-operations] root? we don't need no stinkin' root!

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Mon Nov 25 22:19:36 UTC 2019

* Jim Reid:

>> On 25 Nov 2019, at 20:54, Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
>>
>> The query numbers are surprisingly low.  To me at last.
>
> What do you consider to be a lot of queries? The root server system
> collectively handles 500K-1M queries per second. That seems rather a
> lot to me. YMMV.

But globally?  For the entire planet?

It's certainly beyond what I can run out of my basement using spare
parts, but it's also not a mindbogglingly huge number.  I would have
expected something that's clearly impossible to handle from a single
box.

>> Is it because of the incoming data is interesting?
>
> Define interesting.

The data could have monetary value.  Passwords that are otherwise
difficult to come by might be leaking.