[dns-operations] sophosxl.net problem?

James Stevens dns at jrcs.net
Tue Nov 12 12:53:18 UTC 2019

Health-checks (e.g. pingdom etc) with RD=1 seem pretty common.

Really you want to health-check authoritative-only servers respond when
RD=0 and the response has AA=1, otherwise you might just be hitting a
resolver, but I guess that's beyond what most of those services provide.

I catch the RD=1 in iptables using m32 and throttle it to (say) 20 per
second to get round this issue - cos I'm also one of those who keep
forgetting to add "+norec" to dig :)

Apart from health-checks & dig, most of the RD=1 traffic I get to my
auth-only servers seems to come from malware, spammers etc - e.g. same
IP asking the same question 100s of times.

James