[dns-operations] need ideas for selective proxying to defeat the economic poison pill built into DOH

Fred Morris m3047 at m3047.net
Thu May 30 02:33:17 UTC 2019

On further reflection, I observe that the effect of (successfully)
blocking access to an IP address is to render whatever service it offers
unusable (no warning message or other feedback is provided to the (ab)user).

Given that that's the case, then when I see traffic for an IP address I
haven't seen, I don't need to block it right away. I can wait whole
SECONDS, even, for the DNS response to show up in my tool. If it hasn't,
then I block it. Yep, that'll render web sites unusable. I don't even
need to block all addresses, all the time.

It's a question of your objective:

* Are you trying to prevent any traffic to an IP address which isn't the
subject of a DNS lookup (security)?

* Are you trying to prevent use of your network if the user doesn't
agree to do DNS lookups (policy)?

--

Fred Morris