[dns-operations] F5 Big-IP contact

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri May 24 23:53:59 UTC 2019

While I’m not from F5.

1) Make sure the backing zone names matches those delegated to the server.
2) Include default records for all records served by the F5 front end when
   signing the zone.

Doing this ensures that the negative responses are correct.

Too many times I’ve seen www.example.com delegated to a F5 box and the backing
server has the zone has the name example.com instead of www.example.com.  This
results in the wrong SOA record being returned in negative responses.

If you leave out the default records when the query type is not one handled by
the front end you get NXDOMAIN responses instead of NOERROR responses.

If you are signing the zone a whole lot of extra things go wrong if the zone
doesn’t have the correct name.