[dns-operations] [Ext] Re: Safe public whois site/tool?

Eduardo Alvarez eduardo.alvarez at icann.org
Wed Mar 6 18:28:42 UTC 2019

Yes, the best authoritative source for this information will always be the TLD registry.

Additionally, as more TLD Registries continue to implement RDAP, RDAP clients will also be capable of finding this information for end users.

For anyone is interested, a prototype of a RDAP client is available at
https://rdap-client.viagenie.ca/
This RDAP client is fully based in JavaScript and runs completely on the user browser, mitigating the risk of front running. Because it uses the bootstrapping mechanism with the IANA registry (https://www.iana.org/assignments/rdap-dns/rdap-dns.xhtml), the end user does not need to know the TLD Registry server.

However this approach works only for TLDs where the Registry implements RDAP and registered their RDAP server with IANA, which is expected of gTLD Registries by late August 2019.

Regards,
--Eduardo A.

On 3/6/19, 7:06 AM, "dns-operations on behalf of Salmensuo Sami" <dns-operations-bounces at dns-oarc.net on behalf of Sami.Salmensuo at traficom.fi> wrote:

    Hi,

    >There is only one good answer to this case, and it works all the time:
    >use the registry website for the relevant TLD!

    That is the best answer.

    But if someone wants to use website whois search
    https://www.traficom.fi/en/communications/fi-domains/whois-shows-public-information-domain-name
    is pretty safe to use.

    - Sami / Traficom