[dns-operations] .PL DNSSEC broken again

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Jun 18 00:46:08 UTC 2019

> On 18 Jun 2019, at 8:03 am, Viktor Dukhovni <ietf-dane at dukhovni.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 03:11:37AM +0530, Mukund Sivaraman wrote:
>
>> Perhaps most are like that. It has been 14 years since RFC
>> 4033/4034/4035 have been published. DNSSEC is not a separate space - it
>> works compatibly within the DNS. So why is adoption low? Is it because
>> of:
>>
>> (a) Complexity of understanding/operating DNSSEC (this has reduced over
>>    the years)
>>
>> (b) Lack of knowledge/interest
>>
>> (c) Lack of software implementation
>>
>> (d) Risk of operational problems (considered vs. risk of poisoning)
>
> I vote for:
>
>  (e) Long capital infrastructure replacement cycles.
>
> The DNS load-balancers that front-end large web "properties" don't
> support on-the-fly signing, and have to all be replaced to enable
> DNSSEC for these.

I’ve yet to see a case where “on the fly” signing is necessary.  All
you need to do is be able to publish different RRsets with their matching
RRSIGs all of which can be precomputed.

>> In my slightly dated Alexa top 500 list of domains scanned today, 16
>> (3.2%) are signed.
>
> Alexa ranks large web "properties", these are the ones where (e)
> is an obstacle.

GLB’s aren’t harder in theory than any other servers for DNSSEC (or
anything else DNS related) but they disproportionately cause issues.

>> Many of the top websites are quick to adopt new
>> technologies.
>
> That works provided the technology can be deployed one node or one
> service at a time, but signing a domain requires all the nameservers
> to be ready.

After 14 years this excuse wears thin. The root zone itself was signed
~9 years ago and that required multiple implementations to be available.