[dns-operations] TLD zones with lame servers

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.email
Tue Jun 11 02:49:44 UTC 2019

On 6/10/19 7:36 AM, Jim Reid wrote:
> This is a matter of national sovereignty.

Let's be very careful throwing that term around. At best it's
politically loaded, and not helpful to the conversation at hand.

As for what any person or organization operating a name server that is
mentioned in someone else's delegation has a right to do, Jim is correct
that there is no mechanism currently for ICANN to remove a name server
from a delegation without permission from the ccTLD Manager. Absent a
specific policy or mechanism that comes from the ICANN process, they
would be wrong to do so.

I have as much sympathy for the technical correctness argument as anyone
else, but what we would consider to be a clear bright line is a slippery
slope to others, with a pool of hangry alligators at the bottom.

Doug