[dns-operations] Questions on DNS Flag day 2020 proposal

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Jul 8 13:32:28 UTC 2019

Martin Hoffmann <martin at opennetlabs.com> wrote:
> Tony Finch wrote:
> > Dave Lawrence <tale at dd.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > I wonder how it is that you have come to the conclusion that a
> > > pre-2119 "should" has the force of "MUST".  Is this supported by
> > > other documentation to that effect, or only a personally held
> > > opinion?
> >
> > Opinion :-) Note that I said treat as MUST unless you have clear
> > evidence otherwise, i.e. you have to actually read the document (and
> > its updates) and understand the protocol and its context to work out
> > what parts of the description have the force of requirements.
>
> I think you pretty much described the meaning of SHOULD there.

I thought SHOULD was for cases where there might be reasons outside the
spec for not doing the thing, whereas I am talking about how to
distinguish between SHOULD and MUST when the specification is not
explicitly clear about the difference.

Tony.
Southwest Plymouth, North Biscay: Northeasterly 4 or 5. Slight or moderate.
Fog patches. Moderate or good, occasionally very poor.