[dns-operations] Questions on DNS Flag day 2020 proposal

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Jul 8 10:54:20 UTC 2019

Dave Lawrence <tale at dd.org> wrote:

> I wonder how it is that you have come to the conclusion that a pre-2119
> "should" has the force of "MUST".  Is this supported by other
> documentation to that effect, or only a personally held opinion?

Opinion :-) Note that I said treat as MUST unless you have clear evidence
otherwise, i.e. you have to actually read the document (and its updates)
and understand the protocol and its context to work out what parts of the
description have the force of requirements. I phrase it that way because
"surely not!" reactions like yours are often followed by "but this part
says otherwise" which is kind of my point :-)

Tony.
Lough Foyle to Carlingford Lough: Variable, mainly southerly veering
southwesterly later, 3 or 4, occasionally 5 for a time in east. Smooth or
slight. Occasional rain or drizzle. Moderate or good, occasionally poor.