[dns-operations] The Python 3 socket.getaddrinfo() Case Sensitivity Problem

m3047 m3047 at m3047.net
Fri Jul 5 14:47:49 UTC 2019

TLDR: I applied some OS updates and now can't reproduce the problem. Sorry
to be saying this, not sorry to see the problem gone. If it comes back,
I'll spend some more time tracking it down.

That is a locally minted TLD, and for the record there is a searchlist
which ends with a wildcarded _valid_ domain, hence a valid IP4 address
rather than NXDOMAIN (but not the correct one); it's trying to resolve the
address of a machine hosting Redis internally and that's what the Redis
Python client's code looks like. The actual name in the zone file is
uppercased ("SOPHIA") and dig returns it as "SOPHIA.m3047".

Perl / C / Python: Using dnspython works. Hence the workaround I gave a
link to. I suspect a problem in the underlying libraries (not Python per
se) but haven't pursued it. (SuSE Leap 15.0 x86_64, BIND 9.12.3 compiled
locally.)

It is resolved correctly via a domain that the local caching resolver(s)
serve authoritatively. dig resolves it correctly, from that box, even as
Redis fails. It even worked correctly some of the time, from that box. But
not all the time.

I'd hate to see case sensitivity become the new newly invented old
problem. I don't know of another place which discusses global naming
schemes and operational problems therewith separate from running name
servers. I'd like to think that DNS is a sane choice for internal
directory services in the datacenter, and if that's not the case then
where does the cohort of people to run _The_ DNS come from?

--

Fred Morris