[dns-operations] Questions on DNS Flag day 2020 proposal

Leo Vandewoestijne dnsoperations_leo at dns.company
Wed Jul 3 12:45:30 UTC 2019

On Wed, 03 Jul 2019, Jerry Lundstr??m wrote:

> > 2) Regarding the test results message in 2020_checker.yml, there are four
> > cases. I'm curious about
> > the failure cases. What's the difference among Minor, serious and fatal
> > problems?  I mean what situation
> > will cause the different problem error message from the tester's view. This
> > question will help the understanding
> > of readiness for 2020 DNS Flag Day.
>
> Petr is more familiar with ISC's EDNS tester; Petr, can you answer this?

I share the curiousity about failure cases.

In my opinion two things are perfectly fine: either correctly support EDNS, or send normal pre-EDNS answers.

So I delegated edns0.ml to a single tinydns (with axfrdns for TCP support), and ran it against ISC's EDNS tester.
With or without dnsdist the result is perfectly identical:
https://ednscomp.isc.org/ednscomp/be25e8e4be

Anything too modern returns orange results - so absoletes the need for a legenda to explain the severity of the problem.
However, to less-avid users it's unclear that in the end there's no serious or fatal problem, and no action truly required.

--

Met vriendelijke groet,
With kind regards,

Leo Vandewoestijne