[dns-operations] Questions on DNS Flag day 2020 proposal

Petr Špaček petr.spacek at nic.cz
Wed Jul 3 11:41:31 UTC 2019

On 03. 07. 19 13:33, Jerry Lundström wrote:
> Hi Davey,
>
> On 7/3/19 9:49 AM, Davey Song wrote:
>> 1) In the Q&A part of index.md, under the question "Q: Will this Flag Day
>> require a software update?",
>> it is said "DNS software which follows published standards does not require
>> upgrade" . It will give people a
>> impression that nothing should be done by the operators. Actually,
>> operators should change the configuration
>> of default EDNS buffer size (~1220). I suggest an addtional note should be
>> made on this question.
>
> Well, the question was specifically about software update, not
> configure. And, if you ask me, there is plenty of mentioning about
> configure change in the text.
>
> Is this a language thing maybe? I have never heard anyone say "software
> update" and meant a configure change.
>
>> 2) Regarding the test results message in 2020_checker.yml, there are four
>> cases. I'm curious about
>> the failure cases. What's the difference among Minor, serious and fatal
>> problems?  I mean what situation
>> will cause the different problem error message from the tester's view. This
>> question will help the understanding
>> of readiness for 2020 DNS Flag Day.
>
> Petr is more familiar with ISC's EDNS tester; Petr, can you answer this?

Sure. First of all it is important to realize that result is for "one
domain", and that one domain can have multiple authoritative servers ->
i.e. the text result is "agregated" from per-NS results.

Ok - all ednscomp tests passed
Minor errors - TCP seems to work but unrelated tests are failing
Major errors - TCP does not work on some subset of servers but works on
others
Fatal - TCP does not work at all (not even single server)

I was hoping that explanatory text in the checker captures this - please
submit pull requests with clarifications!

--
Petr Špaček  @  CZ.NIC