[dns-operations] Questions on DNS Flag day 2020 proposal

Davey Song songlinjian at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 07:49:13 UTC 2019

Hi Jerry,

I translated both index.md and 2020_checker.yml with a "cn" entry.
Please check :https://github.com/dns-violations/dnsflagday/pull/114

During the translation, I have two questions:

1) In the Q&A part of index.md, under the question "Q: Will this Flag Day
require a software update?",
it is said "DNS software which follows published standards does not require
upgrade" . It will give people a
impression that nothing should be done by the operators. Actually,
operators should change the configuration
of default EDNS buffer size (~1220). I suggest an addtional note should be
made on this question.

2) Regarding the test results message in 2020_checker.yml, there are four
cases. I'm curious about
the failure cases. What's the difference among Minor, serious and fatal
problems?  I mean what situation
will cause the different problem error message from the tester's view. This
question will help the understanding
of readiness for 2020 DNS Flag Day.

Thanks,

Best regards,