Anyone with contacts at Paypal and/or Ultradns?

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo tih at hamartun.priv.no
Wed Dec 11 06:45:24 UTC 2019

Mail from Paypal to me is failing, hard, because I run a resolver with
DNSSEC verification and qname minimization, and an MTA that implements
DMARC.  Out of the four name servers they've got configured, the two at
Ultradns are mishandling empty non-terminals.  I get SERVFAIL responses
for slc.paypal.com and _domainkey.paypal.com, both of which are needed
for email, because their MTAs are under the former, and their DKIM keys
under the latter.

The problems are visible using dnsviz:

https://dnsviz.net/d/slc.paypal.com/dnssec/
https://dnsviz.net/d/_domainkey.paypal.com/dnssec/

I've tried writing to hostmaster at paypal.com about this, but have
received no response.

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay