[dns-operations] good async DNS library

Hellqvist, Björn bjorn.hellqvist at teliacompany.com
Mon Apr 29 08:55:38 UTC 2019

Hi,

We utilize pycares in Python for our monitoring solution. This is utilizing the c-ares async resolver library.

But we only measure if it gets resolved and the return code, not looking too deep into the packets. It runs as a daemon and each query is threaded using Timer, so it will query each second, so it is non-blocking. So basically it will be able to send queries to the same server, even if the first one is not finished.

There are also asyncio DNS libraries for python. I think I started with that but moved to pycares instead.

BR,
Bjorn Hellqvist
Senior System Expert (Internet, DNS & Automation)
Telia Company
Solna, Sweden