[dns-operations] anycast ops willing to review a IETF draft?

Jeff Westhead Jeff.Westhead at microsoft.com
Wed Apr 17 23:03:11 UTC 2019

This is coming late but a few comments:

IPv6 traffic may take different network paths which can result in higher latencies. When we enabled IPv6 in Azure DNS it seemed like IPv6 has more limited transit / peering than IPv4 so interestingly you may be worse-off using IPv6 for the moment.

Regarding R1, consider advertising different subsets of Anycast IPs from different locations. This may minimize impact of network issues in a particular location. For example if a grey router failure causes packet loss to a particular PoP advertising one set of IPs, recursive resolvers may be able to prioritize an IP in another subset, routing queries to another nearby PoP which advertises the differing IPs. This can decrease the risk of end users being impacted by networking issues.

DDoS scrubbing to identify and drop malicious traffic as close to attackers, or as close to the edge of the operator's network, as is feasible is advisable.

Any recommendations with respect to RFC 8482?