[dns-operations] More Aggressive prefetch for popular names

Benno Overeinder benno at NLnetLabs.nl
Mon Apr 15 17:00:41 UTC 2019

Hi Björn,

> On 15 Apr 2019, at 17:12, Hellqvist, Björn <bjorn.hellqvist at teliacompany.com> wrote:
>
> Isn't this how normal prefetch works today? If a query is done with TTL - X seconds, then fetch the record.
>
>> From BIND ARM:
> "
> Prefetch
> When a query is received for cached data which is to expire shortly, named can refresh the data from the authoritative server immediately, ensuring that the cache always has an answer available.
>
> The prefetch specifies the "trigger" TTL value at which prefetch of the current query will take place: when a cache record with a lower TTL value is encountered during query processing, it will be refreshed.

Indeed, and the same behaviour holds for Unbound resolver.  Unbound defaults on 10% of the original TTL, which works quite well with popular names and keeps the cache entry “fresh” as long as upstream servers (authoritative name servers) are reachable.

Cheers,

— Benno