[dns-operations] Akamai now works with ENT (Empty Non-Terminals)?

Reed, Jon jreed at akamai.com
Sat Apr 13 11:38:47 UTC 2019

Our CDN zones have supported ENTs since July 2018.   I was heavily involved with this, and am happy to answer follow-up questions either on-list or off-list.

There were a number of challenging problems, specifically around empty non-terminals and their interaction with wildcards described in RFC 4592.  The behavior is completely non-intuitive to anyone who isn't a DNS expert.

I wrote a fairly detailed response about this on the dnsop list during IETF 102, in response to a thread started by Stéphane:

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dnsop/XIX16DCe2ln3ZnZai723v32ZIjE

At the time, many other large cloud providers also exhibited incorrect behavior around wildcards and empty non-terminals, but I think Akamai was called out specifically at OARC 27 or 28 with this GIF: https://giphy.com/gifs/hero0fwar-caddy-shack-ToMjGpz81S7usvTIM8w

-Jon

--
Jon Reed <jreed at akamai.com>
Senior Performance Engineer