[dns-operations] More Aggressive prefetch for popular names

吴洪声 samwu at dnspod.com
Mon Apr 8 17:46:50 UTC 2019

I can share some stories.

1.
There’re many ISPs in China, some bigger, like China Telecom / China Unicom, some smaller, like Great Wall boardband / Topway. In China, traffic charge between ISPs was extremely high, sometimes it could be a weapon to combating competitors. So, DNS hijack/tampering/spoofing is a very common method in China. ISP setup CDN/Cache Server in their own network, tampering DNS response, returning larger TTL, hijack traffic to their CDN, to avoid expensive bills (pay to other ISPs).

2.
Sometimes, ISP’s Recursive DNS may encounter network outage, or problems to communicate to Authoritative DNS (usually Authoritative DNS under attack). ISP, or Authoritative DNS themself, will returning a larger TTL to client, to ensure clients can access to website even if the DNS Server down. When the server come back, they need to refresh Recursive’s cache. It happened every week like this case.

3.
2010, baidu.com has been stolen, hacker change DNS records, it took days to flush Recursive caches.

4.
Yes, of course, ISPs provide service to flush caches because high demands. And of course, not cheap.