[dns-operations] More Aggressive prefetch for popular names

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Fri Apr 5 17:47:13 UTC 2019

On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 at 21:27, Davey Song(宋林健) <ljsong at biigroup.cn> wrote:

> I do know the context of draft-wkumari-dnsop-hammer (thanks to Mukund’s reminder,) but it is not aggressive enough. It pre-fetch only when it is close to the end of TTL. The intuitive approach to address the problem in my mind is to prefecth the popular names every 30 seconds or less on popular resolvers. The performance optimization can be done using a separate special server other than the busy resolver.

I think this idea is going to be pretty unpopular among authoritative
operators.  Those who want/need their records to expire frequently
will set low TTLs and so this will not be necessary.  Those who do not
have that need, and instead want to have some control over server
load, will set long TTLs.  They will not appreciate having their TTLs
ignored at scale.