[dns-operations] Spoofing DNS with fragments

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Sep 10 21:39:36 UTC 2018

And it is totally defendable using TSIG with a well known key to secure the transaction.

e.g. name “.”, algorithm hmac-sha256, secret “all zero bits”.

key "." {
        algorithm hmac-sha256;
        secret "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=";
};

If you want more random bits then the current time and id give add them to the other data when constructing the initial TSIG requests.  Adding a 64 bit nonce in the field will work.

Upgrade clients to use TSIG by default with this key.  Add the key to existing server’s configuration.  Build it in to new servers.

Handle the expected error codes.  Remember when you have success. Use the last remaining
DNS header bit to signal that you support this protocol extension.

Mark