[dns-operations] independent reviewers needed for DNS RPZ RFC

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Sun Oct 7 03:20:17 UTC 2018

On Thu, 4 Oct 2018, Paul Vixie wrote:

> hello all. because it was not a product of an IETF WG, the RFC that vernon
> schryver and i would like to publish has been brought up to the RFC
> independent submissions editor (ISE). one of the things the ISE needs is
> independent reviewers.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-vixie-dnsop-dns-rpz/
>
> if you would be willing to read it and send review comments on it to the
> independent submissions editor, please contact me for info.

It's a little odd seeing this request.

First of all, it seems to suggest people at IETF cannot write "indepedent
reviews". It would appeared better if this message had also been sent to
dnsop at IETF. Because you need "reviews" and not "independent reviewers".

Second, you didn't really state what you need reviewing. To be more
transparent, you could have said you are solliciting reviews only on
the documentation of the specified protocol, and are not looking at
enhancements or improvements, as the document is only describing an
existing implementation and has specifically rejected improvements from
the IETF community. And some people at the IETF are now waiting for this
document to go out as RFC, so it can start work on a followup version
with the improvements some of us wanted to see, such as compatibility
with DNSSEC.

I'm happy to write such a review.

Paul