[dns-operations] DNS version request

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Nov 21 19:43:14 UTC 2018

Dave Lawrence <tale at dd.org> wrote:

> And in the case of CHAOS class queries like version.bind, they're also
> handled local to the responding server.  While I won't make the bold
> claim that there's no DNS server software out there that might forward
> them to some other server, the ones I know of just handle it in a
> separate path that never sees forwarding or recursing.

OK, I thought it might be a laugh to see if I could make BIND forward
CHAOS queries, but no dice: if I configure the zone as static-stub,
queries are flatly refused, and if I configure it to forward it gets a bit
further but SERVFAILs when recursing. Sadface.

view bind chaos {
	notify no;
	allow-new-zones no;
	allow-query { localhost; localnets; };

	rate-limit {
		slip 0;
		min-table-size 10;
	};

	zone version.bind chaos {
		type forward;
		forwarders { 131.111.8.42; };
	};
};

Tony.
a world in which all people share the same basic rights