[dns-operations] potential future same-quad open resolvers - 25.25.25.25 and 25.26.27.28

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Wed Nov 7 18:41:18 UTC 2018

> On Nov 7, 2018, at 9:21 AM, Royce Williams <royce at techsolvency.com> wrote:
>
> Back when Quad9 came out, on a whim I surveyed all same-quad IPs, and 3.3.3.3 seemed like a natural add.

Speaking of "same quad surveys", I am finding that various "same quad" addresses
are somewhat popular with folks who want to make up a fake MX host as a (largely
misguided IMHO) spam reduction measure, where they list a dead last (and more
rarely even first) MX host.

In the DNSSEC/DANE survey I see fake MX host counts as follows:

	209 	1.1.1.1
          3     2.2.2.2
          3     3.3.3.3
	  1     5.5.5.5