[dns-operations] Slow Drip DDOS Attack Research

Renee Burton rburton at infoblox.com
Wed Nov 7 11:13:41 UTC 2018

Warren,

Thank you for the comment. The paper is an analysis of a specific actor and their trademarks (TTP), not a review or suggestion for mitigation strategies either at intermediate resolvers or authoritative name servers. There are any number of papers out there discussing  identification of attacks and mitigation; our purpose was to provide details of a specific actor and characteristics of that actor that likely were surprising: not a consumer botnet, the single source of most global-scale slowdrip traffic etc.

The DNSSEC validated cache would help intermediate resolvers in the event that the zone was signed. In reality, I think you’ll find that ExploderBot did not use domains in signed zones.  It’s also defeated through a variety of well-known mechanisms by a clever player.

Thanks for reading. Renée