[dns-operations] a note on fetching the root zone using "dig"

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Sun Nov 4 06:49:09 UTC 2018

On 4 Nov 2018, at 9:54, Ondřej Surý wrote:

> Anyway, the solution Ray and I came up chatting about the issue is to disable IDN processing
> when stdout is not tty.

Please please please do check what happens when you have bidirectional strings before you decide that having U-LABEL output be the default.

I am the conservative kind that am so nervous over these kind of things that I would say "let the user turn on IDN output if the user know what the user is doing".

You might require LOCALE processing, and get different result depending on the shell you use, so "just" look at whether the output is a TTY is something that I think is not enough.

So be careful, and do proper QA, by at least reaching out to people having different directionality by default.

   Patrik