[dns-operations] dig, drill, delve, kdig, sdig, tdig mission statements

Andrew Latham lathama at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 00:02:11 UTC 2018

I had the "educational distraction" that that put the brakes on a project
when peers pointed out that the response logging of what was happening
packet wise was possibly more useful than the library. e.g.
https://lathama.net/git/lathama/Adynaton#educational-distraction

I feel that we need a modern tool along the lines of
$ dns query domain.tld
$ dns verb thing

Where:
A. The output is standard forever
B. It is useful and educational
C. It has sane defaults or lack there of...
D Output can be of formated text, unformated text, raw, bits, json, whatever

FYI Adynaton is stalled and working off and on as
https://lathama.net/git/lathama/protocols now.

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 6:50 PM Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:

> Mukund Sivaraman wrote:
> >
> > A query tool can serve some purposes:
> >
> > * General lookup
> > * Diagnosis of protocol/feature support
> > * Load generation and printing of graphs, etc.
> > * Tracing resolution and DNSSEC validation (along the lines of dnsviz),
> and related diagnosis
> > * Pretty-printing to assist a user (i.e., printing more than just the
> presentation format)
> > * Pretty-printing for parsing in formats such as XML,JSON
> >
> > I feel that having separate query tool flavours by different parties is
> > useful and necessary, but a 3rd party tool is good to have too.
>
> indeed. in 2008 i wrote a small C program to perform arbitrary DNS
> lookups from within shell scripts. its output looks like this:
>
> $ dnsget -a -s 2001:559:8000::2 redbarn.org ns
> NOERROR 4 0 2
> ANSWER redbarn.org NS ams.sns-pb.isc.org
> ANSWER redbarn.org NS sfba.sns-pb.isc.org
> ANSWER redbarn.org NS ord.sns-pb.isc.org
> ANSWER redbarn.org NS ns.lah1.vix.su
> ADDITIONAL ns.lah1.vix.su AAAA 2001:559:8000::2
> ADDITIONAL ns.lah1.vix.su A 24.104.150.234
>
> no dependencies beyond -lresolv which is built into the C library on
> most systems. it's small, too.
>
> $ wc dnsget.c
>       512    1688   11919 dnsget.c
>
> i've put a copy on http://family.redbarn.org/~vixie/dnsget.c -- an
> exercise for the reader is to make it use -lgetdns
> (https://getdnsapi.net/) rather than -lresolv, and write a man page.
>
> --
> P Vixie

- Andrew "lathama" Latham -