[dns-operations] a note on fetching the root zone using "dig"

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Thu Nov 1 20:10:39 UTC 2018

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> For script use, it seems to me that the good practice is to be
> explicit (put all the options you rely on). It may be a long list but
> you type it only once, and it makes your script both more robust and
> better documented.

i do this. but i did not know about +noidnout until the day when the
defaults changed. while this was in this case caused by the freebsd
ports team and their change to an internal ./configure invocation, i
still think that nothing ./configure can do should change the default
for tools. (this is how shell scripts remain portable.)

so back in BIND9 V9.10 when idn support was added, the default for dig
should have been "backward compatibility", that is, no IDN output unless
the user asks for it AND the libraries supported it.

--
P Vixie