[dns-operations] a note on fetching the root zone using "dig"

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Thu Nov 1 19:58:10 UTC 2018

On 01/11/2018 20:43, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

Hi Stephane,

> This is a matter of taste and I don't think we will ever have a
> consensus here.

You're probably right, but I'd like to make one final case for my
opinion, to see if I can change your mind.

Some options in dig are *always* available, because they don't depend on
an external library. For example, no matter how you compile dig, it will
always have the "bufsize" or "multi" options.

However, "idnout" is different. It works, or not, depending on how dig
was compiled. This means that dig's behaviour is going to be different
depending on various things (compile-time settings, a user's locale,
etc). For such an option, I think that dig needs to default to a
behhaviour of least surprise. And this is why it should not be on by
default.

I hope you can see the difference, and perhaps agree with me now :)

Regards,
Anand