[dns-operations] a note on fetching the root zone using "dig"

Ray Bellis ray at isc.org
Thu Nov 1 19:17:08 UTC 2018

On 01/11/2018 17:00, Paul Vixie wrote:

> especially in the case of diagnostics tools, i very strongly agree with
> this. the fact that a malformed TLD name can break "dig . axfr" came to
> me as quite a surprise.

Per Paul Hoffman's reply, it's not malformed, it's just not
representable in whatever your locale ($LANG) was at the time.

However, from what you've said offlist it seems that it's likely a
concious decision by the FreeBSD port maintainer to enable IDN support
(albeit combined with our change to use libidn2 instead of libidn) that
has caused the issues, rather than something that's changed "out of the
box" with a stock ISC tarball.

Ray.