[dns-operations] a note on fetching the root zone using "dig"

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Thu Nov 1 16:57:26 UTC 2018

Ray Bellis wrote:
> On 31/10/2018 22:38, Paul Vixie wrote:
>
> What specific value does $LANG have on your system?

i don't know, and that's sort of the point.

> With LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 in a macOS terminal I get full Unicode IDN output.
>
> If instead I set LANG=C I get the error you reported above.

it makes sense when you say it like that, except, this script used to
work, which means it has evolved (or its environment has evolved) in
ways that break working configurations. i recommend against that.

> That said, if you have built a recent version "dig" with libidn2 support
> and you want to feed the resulting output back into a DNS server as a
> master zone file, you will indeed need the "+noidnout" option so that
> you get xn-- prefixed Punycode labels instead.

in my own IDN work, xn-- is always the default output, and UTF-8 has to
be requested by some non-default knob.

--
P Vixie