[dns-operations] [Ext] a note on fetching the root zone using "dig"

Edward Lewis edward.lewis at icann.org
Thu Nov 1 13:22:00 UTC 2018

On 10/31/18, 18:45, "dns-operations on behalf of Paul Vixie" <dns-operations-bounces at dns-oarc.net on behalf of paul at redbarn.org> wrote:

>    today i started getting this:

My sympathies (meaning, I've encountered this over time).

One lesson I took from the situation (when I faced it) was to monitor your monitors constantly.  Like, a daily summation (of all monitors)script that arrives at like 1pm, or whenever you just get out of bed and begin to work (;)), that is, at some predictable time because, if it doesn't arrive, you have issues.

Another was, whenever updating a system, treat it like a port from one environment to another - meaning - if you can, run the monitor in an unchanging environment before and after changing the other and then compare the results.

A way to interpret that - if you are about to upgrade package A on system B, first port your code to new environment C and make sure what's on C agrees with what's on B.  Then change A and see if C still agrees with B.

Today, the young kids keep changing the layers and layers of code and you can't predict where a change will alter what a monitor sees.

Why can't people just stop updating software...sigh.