[dns-operations] EDNS1 tests in the ednscomp tool

Ray Bellis ray at isc.org
Thu May 31 12:35:26 UTC 2018

On 31/05/2018 12:01, Chris Thompson wrote:

> Is this even categorically wrong? I couldn't find anything by casual
> inspection of RFC 2671 or RFC 6891. Even if it is technically wrong,
> I don't see how any resolver is going to take the wrong action as a
> result of receiving such a response.

Copying the question into the response is actually required:

>From 6891:

   The minimal response MUST be the DNS header, question section, and an
   OPT record.  This MUST also occur when a truncated response (using
   the DNS header's TC bit) is returned.

It would seem as Mark suggests though that sometimes the answers coming
back are not correct.

Ray