[dns-operations] REMINDER: Still soliciting presentation proposals for the ICANN DNS Symposium 2018

Matt Larson matt.larson at icann.org
Mon May 14 19:13:50 UTC 2018

Dear colleagues,

As a follow up to my announcement here in late March, this message is a friendly reminder that the ICANN DNS Symposium (IDS) 2018 will be held Friday, 13 July 2018 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. (IETF102 is scheduled for the following week in Montreal.)

We are still accepting presentation proposals through 1 June 2018. The submission process is easy: please send a one-paragraph description of your proposed topic to ids-proposals at icann.org<mailto:ids-proposals at icann.org> by 1 June 2018. Thank you to everyone who has submitted proposals so far. There is still room on the program and I'd like to encourage you to submit your ideas.

Further details about the IDS 2018 theme from the original announcement are below. For more information about the event, including schedule and venue information, please visit https://www.icann.org/ids.

Thank you and we hope to see you there.

Matt Larson
VP of Research
ICANN Office of the CTO

The theme for the IDS 2018 is: “Attention, Domain Name System: Your 30 year scheduled maintenance is overdue”.

Remarkable as it may seem, the Domain Name System (DNS) is well into its thirties. The DNS began as an exercise to improve the scaling properties of mapping host names on the ARPANET to Internet addresses, and to also help decentralize email box names. In thirty years, we have evolved from the early experimentation and implementation of the formative domain name standards to a distributed name resolution system with millions of name servers that process billions of queries daily.

The DNS runs remarkably well and most users think of it as rock solid. But perhaps the system could be made healthier, or could be improved to support even further innovation. What if we put the DNS through a scheduled maintenance with the kind of full diagnostic assessment routinely recommended for high performance vehicles?

For IDS 2018, we invite members of research, academia, and operational communities to share experiences, data, or innovative thinking on how we might improve the DNS, or how we might foster innovation by adopting or adapting the DNS to support emerging identifier needs.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

• Transport issues such as DNS over IPv6 and protocols for DNS beyond UDP
• Operational issues related to DNS’s maturity level, such as those stemming from scaling or protocol complexity
• Security issues relating to confidentiality, integrity, and authentication
• The role of DNS in DDoS incidents and mechanisms for mitigation
• Using DNS for new applications and new useful DNS data types
• Emerging identifier systems and their competition and coexistence with DNS