[dns-operations] IPv6 PTR best practice

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Fri May 11 19:57:13 UTC 2018

In article <CAHw9_iL248Lzonha=Ko2okNMOGSiYkiiOhArjhVMycRzSwvsvQ at mail.gmail.com> you write:
>​Oh, this: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-isp-ip6rdns/
>is probably relevant.
>
>Its not really a best practices ​survey, but does have a nice framework for
>discussion.

It is also a good survey of what ISPs actually do.

Apropos Mark's plan that hosts or maybe routers can install rDNS
records when they start to use a v6 address, we have a fairly severe
bootstrap problem.  When I plug a device into my home LAN, it gets its
SLAAC info from a router sitting on my desk.  But the rDNS for my
network is handled by dns[1-6].rr.com.  Even if my router wanted to
send rDNS updates where would it send them?  Is there a DHCPv6 option
or something that would tell it?  If it sent updates, how would the
server to which it sent them know whether to believe them?

This really seems like a lot of work for no benefit at all.  If your
device doesn't have a static address, it doesn't need rDNS.

R's,
John