[dns-operations] IPv6 PTR best practice

James R Cutler james.cutler at consultant.com
Thu May 10 03:18:35 UTC 2018

> On May 9, 2018, at 4:56 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org <mailto:marka at isc.org>> wrote:
> Well just let node create PTR records for the addresses they have assigned.
> They are Internet SERVICE Providers and they are NOT providing
> FULL service.  Part of being on the Internet FULLY is the ability
> to NAME YOUR OWN MACHINE.  ...

I name all my own machines regardless of what ISP I happen to be using or where they happen to be used. The ISP don’t care.

> Just because you are a home user doesn’t mean that you should not
> be able to publish the name of your machine.  That is ISPs acting
> as a CARTEL against the home user.

For example, Comcast (in the US) has not figured out how to securely and economically provide dynamic DNS for DHCP IPv6 PD users. But this is still in no way related to how one names machines. And one can publish machine names anywhere one can pay to have them published and many, like this email, that have no marginal cost as I boldly announce that my High Sierra test machine is named Mountain.

Cartel?  Or, just not ready to provide dynamic DNS? Or, just lazy.  What will you tell the judge in your suit?

James R. Cutler
James.cutler at consultant.com <mailto:James.cutler at consultant.com>
PGP keys at http://pgp.mit.edu <http://pgp.mit.edu/>