[dns-operations] IPv6 PTR best practice

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu May 10 00:18:48 UTC 2018

> On 10 May 2018, at 7:22 am, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:
>

>> On May 9, 2018, at 4:56 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
>>
>> Just because you are a home user doesn’t mean that you should not
>> be able to publish the name of your machine.  That is ISPs acting
>> as a CARTEL against the home user.
>
> I think this is a bit strong and full of a wee bit of hyperbole.

Actually it isn’t.  This is exactly like cartel behaviour.  I understand
not wanting to add PTR records by hand because that has large costs.

> It’s also in a bit of contrast with the general activities of the IETF
> that are making it easier to evade long-term tracking with privacy addresses
> etc.

A end user system can decide whether to add a PTR or not for a privacy
address.

> It’s hard to have these multiple things that are mutually exclusive
> that’s even without living in areas with limited (or no) broadband choice.

They aren’t mutually exclusive.  There is the ability to do something
and deciding whether to do it or not.  You also don’t have to publish the
*same* name in all the PTR records.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka at isc.org