[dns-operations] IPv6 PTR best practice

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Wed May 9 15:54:56 UTC 2018

On 05/09/2018 01:27 AM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> Which is in part because there haven’t been enough global addresses
> to make getting forwards zones useful.  IPv6 changes that.

Is the number of globally routed addresses really the problem here?

IMHO, the IPv{4,6} IP address that an ISP customer uses falls in one of
two categories:

1) Static (or sticky) which should include proper Reverse DNS reflecting
the customer.  Including the customer's corresponding Forward DNS.
2) dynamic which likely means that the Reverse DNS (and Forward DNS)
should reflect the ISP and not the customer.

I posit that #2 applies equally to IPv4 and IPv6, thus the number of
globally routed addresses is not /this/ problem.

More to point #2, it is possible to make Reverse DNS reflect the name
the client provided (to some degree), but that possibility does not mean
that it's the proper thing to do.  Especially in light of the fact that
supercalifragilistic.local will extremely likely never have proper
Forward DNS outside of the LAN where it's in use.  (Save for an
extremely unlikely name collision in another LAN.)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die