[dns-operations] Some DNSSEC adoption data points, anyone know of more comprehensive surveys?

Patrik Wallstrom pawal at blipp.com
Wed May 2 09:00:12 UTC 2018

On Wed, 02 May 2018, Patrik Fältström wrote:

>On 2 May 2018, at 1:48, Rubens Kuhl wrote:
>
>> Nope, just that, and the willingness to put registrant interests ahead of possible research interests.
>
>Let me explain the .SE policies:
>
>- One can register a domain name without delegation, so zone fetching do not get all registered domain names
>
>- Contact information for registrant is not available via whois if the registrant is a person (as compared to a company/organization)
>
>It has been like this forever due to the data privacy rules in Sweden.

I did the work for releasing the .se and .nu zones, and we did
extensive legal work to make sure there would be no problems releasing
the zone file in full to the public. GDPR in Europe should make it
clear to most ccTLD operators that displaying this information in
WHOIS should be a problem. The zonefile itself could of course be used
to do any sort of data mining, but only by quering other systems as
well. If the other systems in this case has not been properly
protected, the fault is definitely not the acccess to the
zonefile. Zonefile data can be harvested by a large number of people
using other means, so there are very few arguments left as to why
you may want to protect the content of the zone.

Easy access to zonefiles is a nice way to encourage public research on
DNS and other internet infrastructure.