[dns-operations] DNAME implementation consistency?

Robert Edmonds edmonds at mycre.ws
Mon Mar 19 22:40:57 UTC 2018

Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am considering using a DNAME to “move” a zone to a different namespace. It is widely used by a wide variety of clients (30-200k qps).
>
> I can’t get the clients to change what name they use.
>
> I haven’t ever seen DNAMEs in “production use”, so ... would I be better off building a tree of CNAMEs and using that?

I have used DNAMEs in production, though for zones with smaller query
loads. The only thing I found annoying was that some resolvers don't use
the DNAME to synthesize unless the DNAME is signed, e.g.:

https://www.unbound.net/pipermail/unbound-users/2011-March/001728.html

> I have “example.com” on dns infrastructure serving static data; “foo.example.com” is what I’d like to move. It is served by a kind of GSLB server.

Just a wild guess, are the zones "ntp.org" and "pool.ntp.org", and is
the GSLB-like server https://github.com/abh/geodns ?

--
Robert Edmonds