[dns-operations] RFC2308, negative answer caching, and the largest gTLDs

Andrew White andrew at vivalibre.com
Thu Mar 8 23:31:36 UTC 2018

BIND, at least, appears to cache NXDOMAIN responses from .com gTLD for
900s, the SOA TTL, rather than 86400, the SOA MIN. (Hint: dig +norec allows
cache peeking in BIND)

Is the assertion accurate that the SOA MIN is a noop if SOA TTL <= SOA MIN
then? It would seem so for BIND. Do other caching resolvers handle negative
cache TTLs differently?